Douglas Lake, also known as the Douglas Reservoir, is a man-made lake located in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains in East Tennessee.
Books about Douglas Lake
Created for Multiple Purposes:
Built in 1943 by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), the lake serves multiple purposes:
- Hydroelectric power generation: The Douglas Dam, which holds back the lake, generates hydroelectric power for the region.
- Flood control: The lake helps control flooding in the Tennessee River Valley.
- Recreation: Douglas Lake is a popular destination for various recreational activities.
A Haven for Outdoor Enthusiasts:
The lake boasts over 550 miles of shoreline and a surface area of over 30,000 acres, making it a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. Here are some popular activities enjoyed there:
- Boating: Enjoy cruising, kayaking, paddleboarding, or water skiing on the lake’s calm waters.
- Fishing: The lake is renowned for its excellent fishing, particularly for largemouth bass and crappie. Other fish species you can catch here include white bass, striped bass, sauger, bluegill, blue catfish, flathead catfish, walleye, redbreast sunfish, black crappie, redhorse, spotted bass, and channel catfish.
- Swimming: Take a refreshing dip in the lake during the summer months, with several public swimming areas available.
- Hiking and biking: Explore the scenic trails around the lake, offering stunning views of the surrounding mountains and the lake itself.
With several public boat ramps and marinas around the lake, Douglas Lake is easily accessible for visitors to enjoy its offerings. Additionally, several campgrounds and cabins are available for those seeking an overnight stay near the lake.
Douglas Lake is conveniently located near several popular tourist destinations, including:
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Just a short drive away, the park offers breathtaking scenery, diverse hiking trails, and abundant wildlife.
- Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg: These popular tourist towns offer a variety of attractions, including restaurants, shops, theaters, and theme parks.
Overall, Douglas Lake is a perfect destination for a fun-filled getaway in the heart of the Great Smoky Mountains. Whether you’re seeking outdoor adventures, relaxation, or exploring nearby attractions, Douglas Lake has something to offer everyone.