Lake Ray Roberts (formally Ray Roberts Lake) is a 29,350-acre (119 km2) reservoir located 10 miles (20 km) north of Denton, Texas, between the cities of Pilot Point, Texas and Sanger, Texas. It was named after Ray Roberts (a local congressman who supported creation of the lake) in 1980. It is located in, and supplies water to, Cooke, Grayson, and Denton counties.
On March 2, 1945, the U.S. Congress approved the River & Harbors Act of 1945 which, among many projects, provided for the construction of Benbrook Lake, Grapevine Lake, Lavon Lake and Ray Roberts Lake, as well as modifications to the existing Garza Dam for the construction of Lewisville Lake. Ray Roberts Dam, an earthen structure 141 feet high, is owned and operated by the United States Army Corps of Engineers.